Tuesday, July 20, 2010
My grandfather is about to die. The doctors have just told us he has a few days. I'm shocked and heartbroken and trying to process it all. But, I'm not without hope. Why? For the same reason that there isn't a divorce in my family. In honor of my grandpa, I'm going to tell you the secret to the success (not monitary by any means) of my family. My family is whole and purposeful and has joy because of Jesus Christ. I know without a doubt that my grandpa has a relationship with Jesus Christ. Because of that I know that his last days on earth are not his last days at all. Because I know that my grief is more for those of us still here who will miss him.
My grandpa isn't perfect at all. He knows that. He recognized his need for a Savior. When Grandpa accepted Christ in his life he made Him Lord and Leader. His relationship with Jesus wasn't without serious bumps in the road, heartache, and sin, but Grandpa made it his goal to become more Christ-like with his life. God came first, then Grandma, then his children. Because of his (and Grandma's) values and principles his children accepted Christ and follow Him whole-heartedly and have healthy marriages too. And his grandchildren, and so on.
Do you know Jesus Christ? No matter your situation, you need a Savior. I do. And my savior is Jesus Christ. Ask me about him, I'd love to tell you.
Thursday, July 15, 2010
James 1:26 26 If anyone thinks he is religious, without controlling his tongue, but deceiving his heart, his religion is useless.
James 17:28 Even a fool is considered wise when he keeps silent, discerning, when he seals his lips.
Proverbs 15:1 1 A gentle answer turns away anger, but a harsh word stirs up wrath
A few things I've learned from this:
- **major revelation alert** I've always said "This is just my personality, I can't change it" or "I'm just opinionated. Can I not share my opinion? People just don't like to hear the truth". It has been revealed to me that a) You CAN change your personality. In fact, God is calling me to change CONSTANTLY! Not to change into what the world wants but what HE wants. b) I'm not as smart as I think I am. My opinion isn't always gold and isn't always right. And if it is right, it can spoken in a way that is not condescending and builds others up.
- Most of the time it is best to just be quiet. My motor mouth started out with good intentions (to be friendly) and has turned into a mess (attention getting, off-putting). Working on it!
- My tongue/mouth/words can do 1 of 2 things: can encourage others to move towards a relationship with Jesus Christ or pull others away from Him. I'm trying to remember this before I say ANYTHING.
- It less about the actual words I say but the tone of voice I speak them in.
- This one got me. My words can actually render my beliefs useless if they don't reflect the truth that Scripture holds. James 1:26 26 If anyone thinks he is religious, without controlling his tongue but deceiving his heart, his religion is useless.
I encourage you to chew on this with me (get it? chew...tongue :) Please pray for me as I work on this majorly flawed area of my life. All 14 followers of this blog :) ha! For those of you that know me personally, please keep me accountable in this. Its a habit that has taken years to develop but I'm hoping to un-develop it faster than that!
Thursday, July 08, 2010
Tuesday, July 06, 2010
In the meantime, here is what we've been up to.
Visiting Trav, Reba, Zion, Norah, and Jordan in the burgh. It was awesome.
Laying Heated Tile in the Bathroom
Midnight showing of Eclipse & an Office Sleepover
Spontaneous Trip to Destin w/ Hale, Andi, Samuel, and Jamie